The African National Congress (ANC) headquarters, Luthuli House, was evacuated on Tuesday evening following a security breach.
According to national spokesperson Pule Mabe, the breach took place during discussions between delegations of the Liberation Struggle War Veterans (LSWV) and the ANC after protesters representing the group marched to the building on Monday to voice their grievances.
While the group requested a meeting with ANC officials, they engaged with a delegation instead after they were informed that ANC Officials had been deployed in the elections campaign, said Mabe in a statement.
“The group demanded to see officials. Deputy President David Mabuza, who chairs the Presidential Task Team on the issues of Military veterans, will meet them this coming Thursday of the the 14th of October 2021, since the matters are being processed by government. The LSWV comprises military veterans from Umkhonto weSizwe, Apla and AZANLA,” he said.
“The process started by President Cyril Ramaphosa to address the grievances of military and war veterans must be supported, so as to expeditiously address legitimate grievances of veterans.”
The group was allowed to sleep in the offices on Monday night, to avoid contravening the Covid regulations.
“On Tuesday evening, while discussions between delegations about practical arrangements were in progress, a breach of our headquarters took place.”
As a result, the party ordered an immediate evacuation of its offices, so that the breach can be attended to, with the help of the relevant health and security authorities.
Compiled by Vhahangwele Nemakonde